For UVA Parents
For UVA Parents
Students’ time at the University can and should be characterized by immense personal and academic growth. As parents, you understand that experiences during college are critical for their development and should prepare them not only professionally, but also socially and emotionally to flourish in their communities after graduation. It’s no secret, however, that young people today face unprecedented levels of stress, distraction, and uncertainty, putting them at higher risk of depression, anxiety, loneliness, and addiction.
The Contemplative Sciences Center and other organizations and departments across the University of Virginia are dedicated to helping students flourish and cultivate well-being during their time on UVA Grounds and beyond. There are many opportunities and resources available to you and your students.
Learn about Flourishing
CSC instructors and others offer numerous UVA courses explicitly supporting or addressing student well-being, flourishing, contemplation, and/or related topics for academic credit.
- “The Art and Science of Human Flourishing”: CSC will offer this 3-credit flagship class in spring 2023. The course is open to any undergraduate from any school, discipline, or intended major. Students explore a balance of theory and practice organized into five domains: self-awareness, well-being, connection, wisdom, and integration. Each week the course focuses on a single quality of flourishing through scientific research, humanistic reflection, and artistic expression, as well as a detailed set of contemplative practices. “The Art and Science of Human Flourishing” was developed as part of the Student Flourishing Initiative, a collaboration among scholars at UVA, Penn State, and the University of Wisconsin–Madison.
Fall 2022 Academic Courses Across UVA
- Each semester CSC staff curate a list of UVA courses across disciplines that explore well-being and flourishing. Check back on August 1, 2022 to see the list.
- Stay tuned for CSC’s launch of the University of Flourishing, an online portal that will offer world-quality content, events, and classes from an international network of universities devoted to transforming education towards greater student flourishing.
Make Social Connections
Research shows that among the most important predictors of well-being are strong personal relations and social support from trusted others. There are many ways to make connections with peers and others at UVA:
- Make mindfulness a habit by joining one of UVA’s new Mindfulness Meet-up Groups, a partnership between CSC and UVA’s Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) to support students in regularly taking the time to focus on the present moment without judgment in the company of other students and an experienced facilitator.
- Check out the Student Engagement calendar for co-curricular and extra-curricular activities and events that can build connections based upon shared meaning.
- Join a student club or organization.
- Read our article “Maintaining Social Connection in a Time of Social Distancing” in UVA Today.
Try a Contemplative Practice Session or Drop-In Class
- Register for Virtual Meditation on the Lawn, a short, 15 minute drop-in meditation session led by facilitators including CSC contemplative instructors, UVA faculty and staff, and special guests every Monday at 7:50am ET.
- Explore a variety of contemplative practices in CSC’s free drop-in online classes for all levels
- Listen to a guided practice or session on the Insight Timer app. UVA students now have free access to all premium content and features on the app.
- Check out our Meditation page for information on all of CSC’s meditation-related events and resources, including tips for beginners.
- Incorporate a structured yoga practice, with personalized instruction and support 5 days a week, by joining our Mysore Ashtanga Yoga program. All sessions are available for free and no experience is necessary!
Try Individual Wellness Coaching
- Contact Wahoo Well for one-on-one wellness coaching sessions during the semester.
Request CSC Programming for Student Groups
- Students may contact us at email@example.com to request a program or presentation customized for a student group, club, residential floor, and so forth. Examples of current and past programs include:
- A program on Flourishing in College Dorms
- Mindfulness and Stress Management Training for RAs
- Required training programs (FOAs) for Fraternities and Sororities
- Deescalation and Conflict Resolution Skills training for student workers
- Customized contemplative practice events (e.g., meditation, yoga, T’ai Chi)
Get Excited for the Contemplative Commons
- This innovative new UVA complex will embody a new model of higher education based on immersive, experiential, and participatory forms of deep learning that facilitate student flourishing.
Internships, Fellowships, and Work Experiences for Students
- Each year, CSC is supported by a number of UVA student interns and employees who assist with our research and scholarship efforts, student and faculty engagement programs, and CSC communications and operations.
- Additionally, CSC offers the Citizen Leaders for Flourishing Fellowship comprised of two leadership programs: One for student-athletes with the Athletics Department called the Citizen Leaders and Sports Ethics Community Impact Fellowship, and another for international students, the International Student Citizen Leaders Fellowship.
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about these opportunities.
Stay Connected with CSC
- Join our email list and subscribe to our newsletter here.