Fall 2020: Leading with Presence in Healthcare — GNUR 5030
Wednesdays, 5:00-7:00 p.m.
Open to all UVA graduate students, advanced undergrad (instructor's permission no longer required), and visiting students.
This course is for current and future healthcare leaders who want to be more mindful, compassionate, and effective.
• Understand that credible and authentic leadership develops from the inside out
• Learn how unregulated reactions to stress undermine your ability to perform & lead effectively
• Grow your resilience through practices derived from mindfulness, yoga & acting
• Translate skillful self-management into effective leadership communication
• Become a role model who can grow trusting relationships with work colleagues, create psychological safety in a team, and influence others to achieve meaningful results
Challenges to and advantages of compassionate care; the self-other care balance; adapting your communication style; handling difficult conversations; making inclusion the norm; influencing the collective attention of your team; creating healthy work environments that deliver high-quality patient care
Lead from wherever you are. No formal leadership title necessary, but some professional work experience is helpful. The optional independent study is for building a contemplative practice to support your learning goals.
Optional: 1 extra credit of independent study (NURS 4993 or GNUR 6993)
HOW TO SIGN UP